IBHI Seminar: Improving Emergency Department Flow for People with Behavioral Health Problems
March 7, 2016
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans Marriott, 555 Canal St
Send questions to Peter@IBHI.net
This Seminar has been made possible
by an unrestricted grant from Amerigroup Corp of Louisiana
Thanks to our sponsors,
the cost to the participant for this program is only $60
To register, go here: https://ibhi.net/NOLA-2016-registration-form.shtml
To pay, go here: https://www.ibhi.net/NOLA-2016-pay-for-seminar.shtml
- Stuart Buttlaire Ph. D. Regional Director of Inpatient Psychiatry and Continuing Care for Northern California Kaiser Permanente
- Darcy Jaffe, Chief Nurse Officer and Senior Associate Administrator at Harborview Medical Center
- Larry Phillips D.C.S.W. Program Manager, St Anthony Hospital, Oklahoma City
- Beth Mitchell, JD, Supervising Attorney of Disability Rights Texas
- Peter Brown MA, Exec. Dir. IBHI
8:30 Opening, Faculty Introductions and Schedule for the day
8:45 Hearing from the participants – getting acquainted with each other:
Where are you from?
What is your role in your department or facility?
Briefly: What brought you to the seminar and what are the issues you are facing?
9:15 The current ED environment, its impact on behavioral health consumers and what the recently added standards for Joint Commission accreditation mean for hospitals behavioral health and emergency care.
Stuart Buttlaire, Peter Brown
9:50 Examples of Streamlining ED Operations Techniques for understanding the flow problems and reducing boarding in EDs and ways to develop changes in the operation.
10:30 Examples of Streamlining ED Operations Continued
1:00 Legal issues in emergency department operations related to behavioral health patients and ways to address them
2:00 Important topics in ED management: suicide; managing agitation; decisions about medication
2:45 Framework for improvement efforts and making change in Emergency Department operations, staff culture and training
3:30 Break out groups – faculty facilitated – Planning to improve your facility and program. Participants use what they have learned to develop their own plan for improvement with faculty support including improving engagement with community.
3:45 New developments in ED operations including
Use of Telemedicine, crisis centers, non-ED centers (living room, Rose House) mobile crisis teams, peer counselors, call center follow up efforts.
Peter Brown, Faculty
4:15 Discussion of Participants’ plans for their own Emergency Department
4:45 Summary and evaluation
Upon completion participants will be able to:
- identify specific aspects of their Emergency Department operation which exacerbate symptoms for behavioral health patients.
- identify aspects of their hospital which meets, or do not meet the expectations of the Joint Commission
- develop a plan for reducing the time people with behavioral health problems spend in the ED.
- identify ways to expedite placement for those requiring out of hospital residential care.
- identify specific issues which lead to court cases.
- identify methods for avoiding those issues.
- identify specific methods for reducing the incidence of injuries to consumer and staff in the ED.
The hotel is handicapped accessible. Individual accommodations are possible upon request. Contact Peter@IBHI.net
Click here to make your reservation using the IBHI Seminar group rate of $219/night.
Send questions to Peter@IBHI.net